CommunityAdmins.com - What to Do When Your Online Community Faces Downtime
CommunityAdmins.com is Closed
Bookmark and Share
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CommunityAdmins.com Forum Index -> Managing Your Community
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Patrick
Administrator

PostPosted: 10/8/2011, 7:48 pm    Post subject: What to Do When Your Online Community Faces Downtime Reply with quote

http://www.managingcommunities.com/2011/10/03/online-community-downtime/

Do you have a memorable downtime story to share?

Thanks,

Patrick

fastcars

PostPosted: 10/9/2011, 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had something happen to my site along the lines you talk about.

I was running a chat room on a shared server which became so popular it started causing problems for other sites on the same server. Without warning the web hosts removed it which restored the stability of the network but left me without a popular chat room on our site.

To make matters worse it happened approximately 2 hours after I left for my two week summer holiday.

My mobile phone was red hot, the texts were flying back and forward and I was at a complete loss as to what had caused the problem. To make matters worse. I was holidaying halfway up a Turkish mountain, in the middle of nowhere, with no internet access whatsoever.

There was nothing I could do, so decided the best was to put it to the back of my mind and enjoy the holiday.

I did though manage to get too the nearest large town and found an internet cafe (after about a week).
I looked through the site and the rumours on the message board were rife. Pages and pages of posts on the subject with every conceivable conspiracy theory thought up for why it had happened, and most of them negative of course.
Some of the theory's were so ridiculous it was unreal, it was quite an eye opener as to what people can think up to type in a situation like that. But even at the internet cafe there was little I could do as all my contacts ect were stored on my home computer.

My holiday eventually came to an end and on my arrival home i found the email from my web hosts explaining the situation, (sent two hours after I left for my holiday). It was quite funny when all the members of the site clammed up as I explained the "real" reason for the problem which was a million miles from the conspiracies.

Anyway, the problem was soon solved, we bought ourselves a new, more professional chat room which runs on its own server and everything is now back to normal again.

Well as normal as you can get at my place anyway Smile

Patrick
Administrator

PostPosted: 10/19/2011, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that, fastcars. That must have been frustrating!

Patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CommunityAdmins.com Forum Index -> Managing Your Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: